Bitter sweet December

I love December as much as I hate it. My memories of December's past are a cocktail of  irony. It's a melange of the best and the worst, although the latter prevails.  

My uncle Abed died in December, unexplained and under a cloak of unknowns. he was my favourite uncle, it sucks that I never got to know him intimately. I inherited his favorite pair of shoes (Don't ask), the finest made pair I'd ever had. I had them for a year, never dared to wear them until I had to. Somehow I naively thought he wouldn't like me wearing them. What if his spirit still lived in them? Ah, the naivety of youth. So they collected dust until I couldn't patch the holes in the soles of my school shoes - the result of too many 7 aside soccer games on the netball court. I hate December as much as I love it.  

My younger brother Natangwe died in December, unexplained and under a cloak of unknowns. Just like our uncle before him, he left this world and we still don't know the intricacies of how and what happened. He would have been a month close to his 25th birthday. I Hate December as much as I love it.  

It's been 2 years and I still have to remind myself to refer to him as 'the late', my head refuses it more than my heart does. The saying goes, "Time heals all wounds." That's total bullshit, some things don't heal, they just hurt less and less as time decays. Letting people go is hard. When you lose someone close to you, you spend so much time clinging to the memories of the dead, that you might just forget to make memories with the living.  

In Memory of Jafet Natangwe Iiyambo (Jan. 1989 - Dec. 2012).  

Rest in power little brother.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10.5 in a straight line – The Namib Naukluft Mountains.

Trends of deadly passion

Namibian education system language policy - 5 things that could go wrong