Growin is a pain _ the modern day adaptation


I was in bed on Friday night writing, before you scream “BORING!” and label me irrelevant. You need to broaden your mind, it’s the only way you will understand why I am now as allergic to chop-o-life as I am to seafood, although it’s sad that I can’t eat crabs, lobsters or prawns, anything that lives in a shell does not want to be eaten anyways. 

So why was I at home, in bed on payday weekend? Well it’s because I have better things to do! So what things are those while people are in Tura chopping life? Well for your information I was formulating the plot of my first attempt at a fictional novel and writing this blog. Why would I do something so boring and not go out and enjoy myself like any normal 25 year old. The answer is simple; I am not like any normal 25 year old. My idea of enjoyment is watching the Currie cup final, although a Liverpool Vs Man united game comes close. Am I white? Heck no! I am a coconut!

 I am not an athlete, although at 1.79 m and 70 kg’s; I am not by any means a push over. I just don’t believe that I will achieve my dream of captaining Namibia at the African Nations cup, that dream died when I scored a cracking goal, ran rings round the opposition but still did not make the school team. On the other hand, I also won’t become a BEE magnet, although my last name is Iiyambo, I am not related to either Hon. Nicky or Abraham, so no perks for me from government (no Chinese scholarship for me), not that I would want any freebies anyways. I can’t become a star in the music industry either, I have the talent for it but I just can’t quite figure out what my mom’s would say (they would kill me with a cooking spoon, the wooden one they cook pap with). Yep, I have been forced to grow up and face reality.

So that basically only leaves me with very few ways for me to cement my place in society, to stake my claim to be known for my talents and not who I know (maybe stand up comedy? Shit! Lazarus Jacobs monopolized that already). By now you are all aware that I can write, and boy can I write, when I write it’s like Adelle singing rolling in the deep. So that is what I will be known for, as soon as I can find a local newspaper desperate enough to turn my blog into a column, and the sooner the better as my laptop needs to be replaced. I can’t blog without a computer! So why can’t I use my geology money to buy a new laptop? Well the geology money is for important stuff like banana yoghurt, jelly babies and occasional visits to Kapana. I can’t be wasting geology money on things like rent, investments and new laptops (this is your cue to laugh).

As kids we all had many dreams, but as we grow we realise that only one or a few of those is realistic, unfortunately some never realise it and go chasing waterfalls in the desert. I know growing up can be painful; realising that the Easter bunny is a figment of imagination, the tooth fairy is a fraud and Santa Claus only brings presents to those with high profile SWAPO membership cards. Such is the pain of the modern day process of growing up. So as exciting as chilling in Eveline street  doing nothing but sitting down drinking beer was when I was a dumb kid following the crowd. I got better things to do now.
Growing up can be a pain, but no pain no gain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10.5 in a straight line – The Namib Naukluft Mountains.

Trends of deadly passion

Namibian education system language policy - 5 things that could go wrong