The 50 book challenge



I don’t make New Year’s resolutions, it’s not because I’m a pessimist, nope! I just know from life experience that they are vague and unrealistic. I have objectives instead, mostly because:  1) They sound more serious, 2) they’re measurable, and 3) did I already say that they sound more serious? So at the end of each year, I do a review; I take a deep introspective look at my life and find areas that need improvement. I then make a list of 3 objectives. That’s what I did at the end of a shambolic 2016.


One of my 3 objectives for 2017 was to read 50 books. I know what you’re thinking, if most people can’t even read the weekend newspaper front to back, how would I read 50 books? I had a plan: 1) I would take a year off from any academic pursuits (more free time), 2) I already had half of the 50 books I needed in paperback (the rest I’d get as e-books), and 3) I don’t own a TV (less distractions). It looked like a solid plan. 


We’re halfway through 2017, and I have read two and half books, so much for objectives hey? I’ve only managed to finish A girl walks into a bar by Helena. S. Paige, and John Green’s Looking for Alaska. The former was easy to read because it is erotica, while the latter was as easy to read but carried deeper meaning, I’m still thinking about how I will escape the labyrinth of pain and suffering that is life, and whether or not I am truly content with my rotten lot. I am also halfway through This is how you lose her by Junot Diaz, which I am reading in installments, one short story at a time. Yep, things are moving at a snail’s pace, but at least they’re moving.



"You smoke to enjoy it, I smoke to die."


So even with the exhaustive measures that I have put in place, I’m not doing much reading, at least not enough to have any hopes of completing the 50 book challenge. What went wrong? Well, many things have gone wrong but that’s a blog post on its own. I procrastinate a lot, without the pressure of assignment deadlines and exams; I spend too much time doing nothing (who would have thought?). At some point I’m going to have to cut down the amount of time I spend tweeting, instagraming, and face booking. I have also found it easier to bury myself in work; it’s much easier than facing the deep unresolved issues that have killed my creative process. I won’t go into detail because that might also require its own blog post. I’ve found it difficult to escape the box that my failed career has landed me in; my attempts to escape and resurrect the dream deferred have not met any support from parental figures. Wait, I went into detail didn’t I? Sorry, my bad. 


I will soldier on and keep reading. I’m hoping to reactivate my creative vibes by immersing myself in an avalanche of literature, and in retrospect if I aim to write a novel or three, I’ll need to increase not only the quantity of books I read but the quality and diversity. In the astute words of Caine Prize winning Writer Namwali Serpell, “I always tell people when they ask how to become a writer: just read more.” I’ve also recently stumbled on a great video by Siyanda Mohutsiwa (click on link toview), which I wish I had found earlier, it has been really helpful. So, wish me luck as I continue on my noble quest (I’ll keep you updated via my instagram).


Siyanda Mohutsiwa's 6 ways to read more books (available on youtube)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10.5 in a straight line – The Namib Naukluft Mountains.

Trends of deadly passion

Namibian education system language policy - 5 things that could go wrong