The Nama’s – The crucification of Lady May


The first weekend of June produced a colossal sequence of events; Rafael Nadal engraved his name into tennis history, the grave warriors continue to desecrate foundations laid by the class of 98 and Lady May did the unthinkable. I assume questions are now randomly swimming in your head, what could she have possibly done now? She already shocked us with her physically charged epileptic dance moves laced with Energetic sex appeal. Well she said “Good night mother fuckers on TV”, still not shocked? Neither was I, what shocked me was the ferociously hypocritical response from NBC and MTC, I think both of these companies forget that Ladies May’s fans also pay TV licences and buy recharge Vouchers. But was shocked me was the horrible decapitation of the English language by the Male who presented the award, how can breaking English on TV be ignored?

There can be no hiding from fact but this situation requires reasoning and an unbiased approach. What she said is wrong because she said it on National TV, but in order for me to make my point, a desensitization of the word mother fucker is in order. This is urban slang, commonly used in place of Shit, Fuck and Crap to voice frustration amongst other things, think rushing to the toilet and discovering there  is no toilet paper after you have already done the business, yes “Mother fucker!”.

And I will repeat “WHAT LADY MAY DID WAS WRONG”, you can quote me if you like, but the reaction is a bit harsh, well more than harsh because it borders on cruelty, they have crucified Lady May for being Lady May. She is to my generation what Brenda Fassie was to the kids of the 80’s.  To illuminate those still covered in shadow, I present arguments 1 – 5.

  1. Swallow the blade, next to that statement Lady May’s outburst sounds very harmless, I am even laughing at it right now. Yet was there a public witchhunt back then? It’s because she’s a woman?
  2. Tate Buti, as much as I love moving my limbs rhythmically to those quiku beats, I concede that his lyrics are a bit graphic to say the least. If he can keep his awards then why should Lady May not? It’s because she’s a woman.

  1. Hiprocracy! There I said it, call me a puppet and send me a death threat. The people who crucify Lady May and Label her names are the same people currently relaxing in their beds listening to Ovakwaita VokOkongo, there can be no hiding the profanity that these gentlemen put into their music but if R. Kelly can sing his songs then let the Soldiers do their thing. It’s because she’s a woman?
  2. Common sense, I admit that children were watching and kid’s pick up things very quickly. But I won’t blame Lady May if a kid screams mother fucker! Because that word is extensively used by international megastars such as Eminem, Lil wayne, Nicky Minaj and 2Pac and notorious B.I.G before them, interestingly all these artists music is available online via MTC among others, so they ban Lady May but put no censorship on others, it’s because she’s a woman? Or is it because she’s Namibian?

  1. Politics, we live in a society (Namibia) where a few rich capitalists aim to impose their views on a nation, where scandals are swept under the rug, where culprits who steal millions walk free because of political connections e.g. ODC, GIPF, AVID, The Arms Deal, Namcor, Several BEE fiasco’s and I could go on and on. They have no right to judge Lady May, the fans listen to her music and they voted for her, the fans should decide her fate. Politics’ has no place in the entertainment business.

Lady May, The brenda Fassie of my generation
I will admit one last time that what Lady May did was wrong, but the punishment does not fit the crime. I believe a one month ban is a decent enough punishment but withholding prize money from an artist whose sole income is their music is counter productive to all that government crap of Job Creation and encouraging the youth to use their talents to create jobs for themselves, If they allow politicians to release their verbal diarrhoea via the media and they give no punishment then that screams hipocracy (Hit them on the head with a hammer, hate speeches against white farmers etc).

To Lady May I say don’t despair, but say sorry and maybe go to rehab kau! Calling people mother fuckers is done at a bar or at a party not on Tv! I will still listen to Voom Voom, ai! Sorry, I meant Zoom Zoom (See what hanging around English breakers does to you!).

And before I forget, good night mother fuckers.

The Quambi boy


Comments

  1. very insightful indeed to run into your blog indeed, love this to bits though and that you also hit on key important facts why the NAMA's where just messed up on the first front not having delay sensors and all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10.5 in a straight line – The Namib Naukluft Mountains.

Trends of deadly passion

Namibian education system language policy - 5 things that could go wrong